TEXT 895-4040     Submit Ticket

Traffic Attorney Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Is a traffic lawyer worth it?

Yes! 99.99% of the time. Even if you don't have anything on your driving record already, one ticket can have a big impact on your insurance rates. In addition to this, you never know what's going to happen next week or next month. Just because your record is clean and incident free, doesn't mean it's going to stay that way. What if you just go ahead and pay that speeding ticket without hiring an attorney to fix it today, and then next week, you're driving along, thinking you're obeying all the traffic rules and forget to signal a turn or drift over the shoulder line for a few seconds and an officer decides to pull you over. Now, even if you hire an attorney for the second ticket, when she goes to try to get it amended the prosecutor could say, "this person has a recent history of bad driving, I don't think I should amend this charge." You just never know what could happen a week or month from now. Why not take care of the one you already have and keep your record clear?

How can I fix my ticket?

Don't worry, you won't have to do much other than hire me. I can fix your Missouri ticket for you for a very reasonable fee, and in a lot of cases, you won't ever even have to show up in court!

Can a lawyer clean your driving record?

It depends a lot on what is on your record and how long it has been there. There are a couple of ways an attorney can help, but often times it involves asking the court to grant a guilty plea withdrawal. Some courts are really strict on these and all are statutorily bound by certain time limits. If you want to know whether your driving record can be cleared, give me a call or send me a text or email and we can go through your particular record to see what can be done.

How do traffic lawyers get tickets dismissed?

Well, in most cases we don't get them dismissed, we get them amended. I mean, sure, in a case of mixed identity or when you had insurance but didn't have the proof with your or something like that, your attorney may get the case dismissed for you, but in the vast majority of cases we work with the prosecuting attorney to get a plea deal worked out where the charge is amended to something that won't result in points on your driving record.

Can all tickets be fixed?

No. The vast majority of tickets can be, but if you have a problematic driving history or the charge is a serious one, it may not be fixable. It’s still important to have an attorney on your side to help work out the best deal possible with the court. Sometimes, even if a ticket can’t be amended, an attorney can arrange for you to serve a brief, unsupervised SIS probation. If you complete your probationary period and all the requirements that come with it without getting any additional traffic violations or arrests while you’re on probation, the record will be sealed and you won’t get the points on your record. These probations are sometimes 6 months or a year long, and can have additional requirements like driving school, community service hours, or other classes involved.

Which charges are usually harder to get fixed?

Charges like Driving While Suspended, Careless & Imprudent Driving, No Proof of Insurance, Speeding more than 20 miles per hour over the legal limit, Speeding in a special zone (like a work zone or a school zone), Failure to Yield to an Emergency Vehicle, Leaving the Scene of an Accident, and any charge that was issued to you as the result of a car accident are some examples. When you TEXT us a picture of your ticket or tell us your ticket information, we’ll be able to let you know if we expect your charge to be easy to amend or if it might involve some more serious requirements than just a fine.

What if I got a No Proof of Insurance ticket?

A ticket for not having proof of insurance is one of the most serious tickets you can get. If you did have insurance at the time but just didn’t have the proof with you when you got pulled over, you should be able to get this ticket dismissed just by providing proof to the court. HOWEVER, if you didn’t have insurance at the time, you need the help of a traffic attorney. Pleading guilty to a No Proof of Insurance ticket instead of hiring an attorney can cause you serious, long-term problems. For one thing, you’ll get 4 points on your driving record, but you can also have your license suspended and then be required to file an SR-22 proof of insurance for a period of three years.

My license is suspended. How do I get it back?

Suspensions can happen for a variety of reasons, including failing to appear in court on a traffic ticket, failing to pay fines, point accumulation, missing child support payments, medical suspensions, and more. The best way to find out why your license is suspended and what the reinstatement requirements are is to call the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) at (573) 751-4475. When you call, expect to be on hold for quite a while as their phone lines stay pretty busy. Make sure you have a pen and paper handy. Write down all the things that are holding your license and all the things you need to do to get reinstated. If courts have holds on your license, we can help. If you want us to call DOR for you, we can do that for a fee.

I have a Driving While Suspended/Driving While Revoked ticket. Can that get fixed?

It’s very important to get an attorney if you have a driving while suspended ticket because pleading guilty on a driving while suspended or driving while revoked will result in 12 points on your driving record and an immediate one year revocation. An attorney can help you get the ticket amended but only after you get your license reinstated. If your license isn’t reinstated, we’ll have to ask the court to continue your case until you can get all your reinstatement requirements completed. For this reason, if you have a lot of requirements, the attorney fee on a driving while suspended ticket can get a little pricey.

I got in an accident and received a ticket. Can you help me fix my ticket?

Usually yes, but you will have to get a letter of restitution from your insurance company saying that they covered the damages in the accident. Insurance companies are used to providing these letters so it shouldn’t be difficult for you to obtain and they can fax it directly to our office at 314-895-4040.

I paid a ticket not knowing it would put points on my license. Can you help get it off my record?

Sometimes we can. In order to do so, the guilty plea usually has to be pretty recent and we will have to file a motion with the court asking them to allow you to withdraw your guilty plea. Call or message us to discuss this further.